I have had the honor of working on many award-winning journalism projects over the years.
- Led the Washington Post’s Web coverage of the Virginia Tech shooting, which helped win the Pultizer Prize for breaking news in 2008.
- 2007 APME award for convergence for Washington Post’s “Being a Black Man” year-long project.
- 2007 Peabody Award, Being a Black Man
- 2007 Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism, Being a Black Man
- 2007 Web Reporting Award, Scripps Howard Foundation National Journalism Awards, Being a Black Man
- 2006 Editor and Publisher EPpy Award for Best Overall Newspaper-Affiliated Web site; Best Internet Classified Service, Cars; Best Internet Community Service Effort for congressional votes database.
- 2006 SNDies Silver Award, “Being a Black Man.”
- 2005 EPpy Award for Best Overall Design.
- 2004 EPpy for Best Internet News Service, EPpy for Best Entertainment section.
- 2003-2004 Awarded Nieman Fellow to study at Harvard University for a year.
- 2003 Society of Professional Journalists award for coverage of the Washington Area Sniper Attacks.
- 2003 SPJ award for multimedia project on the anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks.
- 2002 ONA Award for Enterprise Journalism for Blue Wall of Silence (Police brutality in Prince Georges County, Md.).
- 1995 Whitney M. Young leadership award for service to the Exploring program.